Photos‎ > ‎News‎ > ‎

Trinity rolls past Milford, 30-20

posted Sep 14, 2013, 4:57 AM by Milford Spartans   [ updated Oct 8, 2013, 9:28 AM ]
MILFORD – Keith Jones knows his Milford High School football team lost Friday night to a good Trinity squad.

The Spartans coach just hopes his guys will get another crack at the Pioneers in November.

Trinity scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns, both by Austin Chambers, as the Pioneers came from behind to beat Milford 30-20 in a meeting of new Division II South Conference rivals.

Chambers finished with three touchdowns and 144 yards of offense while Brad Rhoads added 100 yards rushing and a score for Trinity (2-0), but the pair were forced to share the spotlight with Milford’s Harrison Urda.

Urda accounted for 178 of the Spartans’ 236 yards on offense and had hand in on all three Milford (1-1) touchdowns. The senior quarterback rushed for scores of 20 and 2 yards, respectively, in the first half, and hit Evan Perron for a 7-yard touchdown pass late in the third that put the Spartans up 20-16.

“Awesome,” Jones said of Urda’s night. “We knew during the week that they would key on (Mitchell) Banuskevich and Perron big time from last

week’s performances. Harrison, even though he ran a little last week, we knew it probably wasn’t what they were looking for, so we worked on him being a ball carrier a little more.”

Trinity did slow down Banuskevich (25 rushing yards) and Perron (22), but both, along with Ian Michaud, were able to come up with key receptions.

“Some of the catches they made, I can’t believe they did,” Trinity coach Steve Burns said. “They have great athletes over there. Harrison Urda is a very good runner and he gave us fits all night long. His ability to run the football, and he’s a good passer as well.”

The Pioneers found that out right away. After Chambers helped give Trinity an 8-0 lead (the Pioneers only go for two) with a 5-yard scoring run, Urda answered on Milford’s first drive with a 20-yard touchdown scramble.

A 15-yard touchdown by Rhoads and another score by Urda made it 16-14 Trinity at the half. Milford opened the third by taking the opening kickoff and marching 70 yards on 16 plays and scoring on Perron’s touchdown catch with 2:25 left in the quarter.

The Spartans tried an onside kick, but the ball didn’t go far enough and Trinity took over at Milford’s 40-yard line. Seven players later, Chambers scored what proved to be the winning touchdown.

“We hadn’t really stopped them,” Jones said. “The on-side kick didn’t go well and you don’t want to give a team like that a short field. We were hoping that if we didn’t get the ball, at least they’d have to go 60 yards, but it didn’t work out.

“We gave a thousand percent out there. That’s a great football team. The game is always won in the trenches and they got the best of us. I told the kids, you’ve gotta think of it as a preview of November. We’ve got to do this again, and there is better grass at Gill Stadium.”

Saturday, September 14, 2013


Staff Writer